September 17, 2013
Altus Police were called to 1043 Cherry Street on Saturday afternoon just before 1 p.m. to investigate an an apparent accidental death.
According to Altus Police Chief Tim Murphy, Christopher G. Crafton, 40, entered a crawl space to go under the house to repair a water leak. Witnesses say Crafton was under the house for a short time when he was apparently electrocuted.
Power was cut to the house, then and the opening to the crawl space had to be widened by the Altus Fire Department to remove the victim.
Crafton was removed and transported to Jackson County Memorial Hospital by EMS personnel where he was pronounced dead.
Investigators discovered a small piece of exposed wire from a 220 volt line that was resting against a metal pipe.
Police continue their investigation into this apparent accidental death.
Celebration of Life services will be held at a later date in Altus and Amarillo, Texas. For his full obituary, see page 2 of today’s edition.