Quartz Mountain Park Manager, Sue Hokanson, confirmed this morning that a woman was bitten by a rattlesnake at the park on Thursday. Although her name has been withheld, she is reported to be from Fort Worth, Texas.
According to Hokanson, the woman was bitten as she started on a hike. Park Ranger Patrick Reeves said the woman was hiking through tall grass behind the group camp when the incident occurred.
“It bit first, then rattled,” said Reeves. “Because it was in tall grass, the hiker probably startled the snake. That’s why it bit before it rattled,” he explained. The snake was reported to be long with a large head, and a rattler about 4” to 6” long.
“The woman only had one fang mark on her,” said Reeves, “but she was bitten bad enough to be admitted into the hospital.”
Hokanson reported that the woman was taken to the park’s grocery store for help, where employees called for medical assistance. “Her ankle was already swollen,” said Hokanson.
Greer County dispatch sent an ambulance for the woman, and she was taken to Jackson County Memorial Hospital for treatment. Reeves said that she was admitted and has been given an antivenom. Her condition was not known at press time.
Reeves said that snake bites are not a common occurrence at the park. “I think the last time we had a report her was in 2001 or 2002.”
The best advice Reeves has for hikers is, “Stay out of tall grass.” It was also noted that if a snake feels threatened, it can strike more than once. Therefore, the person who is bitten should get at least 20 feet away from it. It is also recommended to allow the bite to bleed freely for about half a minute. This process may allow some of the venom to flow out of the wound. Of course staying calm and seeking immediate medical attention is advised.
Reach Michael Bush at firstname.lastname@example.org