Last updated: August 06. 2014 10:47AM - 185 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Voters in Jackson County who want to have absentee ballots mailed to them for the August 26 Democratic Runoff Primary Election should apple now, County Election Board Secretary Jennifer L. Wilson said today. Although the County Election Board can accept applications for absentee ballots until 5p.m. on Wednesday, August 20, Wilson urged voters who want to vote by absentee ballot to apply early.

Absentee ballot application forms are available at the County Election Board office located at 101 N. Main, Rm#105, Altus. The absentee ballot application forms also can be downloaded and printed at: www.elections.ok.gov.

“At least two mail transactions must be made,” Wilson said. “The County Election Board must mail the ballots to the voter and the voter must return the voted ballots by mail.” Ballots must be in the hands of the County Election Board by 7p.m. on Election Day in order to be counted.

Wilson said that any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election in which he/she is eligible to vote. However, a voter must be registered and reside at an address within the geographical boundaries of a school district or a municipality to be eligible to vote in school district or municipal elections. It is not necessary to give a reason—or excuse—for voting absentee.

“While anyone can vote absentee without giving a reason, the law still provides several excuses, and it is to the advantage of some voters to use one of them,” Wilson said. By stating one of the following reasons of their applications, these voters can activate some special conditions that make is easier for them to use absentee ballots. The reasons are:

* Voters who are physically incapacitated and voters who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left unattended may vote absentee. They may apply only by mail, by fax, or by email.

* Voters who are confined to nursing homes in the county my vote absentee. An Absentee Voting Board actually goes to the nursing home a few days before the election, sets up a small polling place and allows these persons to vote under

circumstances similar to those at a regular precinct polling place. They may apply only by mail, by fax, or by email.

* Military personnel and residents of the county living overseas and the spouses and dependents of each group are eligible receive absentee ballots. These voters may apply only by mail, by fax, or by email. Military personnel should contact the Voting Service Officers in their units for application forms and additional information or visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website (www.fvap.gov/oklahoma) for more information and instructions. Residents of Oklahoma living overseas can obtain the same materials from any United States military installation and from United States Embassies and Consulates as well as on the FVAP website.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Altus Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com