Changes For Bulldog Football in 2014

Last updated: August 06. 2014 12:20PM - 1196 Views
By - bgilbert@civitasmedia.com

Bulldogs take advantage of new weight room
Bulldogs take advantage of new weight room
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Everything surrounding the 2014 version of Altus High School Football feels new.

What use to be the automechanics building is now a training/film/weight room facility that a small college would love to have. Couple that with a regime change at the helm of the coaching staff and everything looks new for the Bulldogs.

New head coach Jeremy Reid takes the Bulldogs into 2014 bringing an excited optimism with him.

He inherits a program at one of its lowest times in its history.

Since 2004, Altus has had two winning seasons going 6-5 in 2005 and 2008. However, While the Bulldogs were doing some end of summer testing in the weight room last night, it seemed like everyone was keeping a secret. It felt like they all new something that others outside the program didn’t know. It felt like a team tired of losing. One with a chip on its shoulder.

The new facilities are impressive to cut right through the adjectives. The squat racks are new. The hot tub is new. The film screen, excuse me, the two touch screen smartboards in the film room are new. The intensity level is new. Coach Terry is new. Altus’ own Matt Terry, a former standout QB for the Bulldogs and son of former coach Mike Terry, returns home to coach safeties.

Several people from Reid’s coaching peers to folks at the local Lion’s Club where Coach Reid spoke recently have been impressed with him. He is a dynamic individual who looks like he could still be playing the game.

“We love the intensity level he brought with him.” said Mitch McLaughlin Head Athletic Trainer, “He works hard and expects us and the kids to do the same. It’s infectious.”

McLaughlin leaves behind an outdated training facility and enters a facility he can take pride in. “It’s just great to see the commitment the board and the community have shown to these student/athletes,” McLaughlin added.

The players have taken notice of the commitment as well. During the “Summer Pride” voluntary strength and conditioning program, the coaches claim a 96% participation level. After seeing the new training facilities and the buzz surrounding the team, one ponders where was the other 4%?

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Altus Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com