Preliminary trialheld for Drurymurder charge

By Ryan Lewis -



Members of both the Drury family and the Garrison family gathered in the court of the Honorable Clark E. Huey for the preliminary hearing of the State of Oklahoma V. Terry Randel Drury at 9 a.m. Friday.

The defendant, Terry Randel Drury, has been charged with first-degree murder with deliberate intent following the April 12 shooting that left his son-in-law, Jeffrey Mark Garrison, dead. Shortly after shooting Garrison, Drury walked into the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office with the weapon and turned himself in to the police.

According to Drury in his interview with Undersheriff Stacy Randolph on April 12, Drury spoke with Alison Thorpe and was informed by her that several phone calls were made by Garrison to local dentist offices telling them there was somebody in the area making dentures without a license. After finding this out, Drury decided to confront Garrison, but not before he stopped by Wal-Mart and purchased a box of shotgun shells.

At Garrison’s residence, Drury told investigators he got out of his vehicle and confronted Garrison saying, “Really Jeff, you’re going after my livelihood?”

It was at that time Drury told investigators that Garrison yielded a chainsaw — Garrison was cutting up a tree that had fallen across his fence — and started to come at him. Drury went to the passenger side of his vehicle and retrieved his shotgun and turned it in the direction of Garrison and the shotgun accidentally discharged.

The story, however, is one of two conflicting stories told to investigators by Drury and according to Randolph, it does not quite add up.

“It was a Rossi Braztech 410 U model shotgun,” Randolph said. “The ones that I’m aware of, there is a selector switch on the receiver side that you manually have to manipulate to put it on fire and there is also a bar within the hammer system that will not let the hammer fall on its own without holding the hammer down slightly and squeezing the trigger slightly too to release the hammer. That’s the only way it’ll fall. It is designed for a child.”

Randolph was one of three people called to the stand to give an account of what happened on that fateful day as Assistant District Attorney David Thomas and Defense Attorney Robert McMahan spent the bulk of the day cross-examining the law enforcement officers.

Blair Chief of Police Joseph Poulin Jr — the first called to the stand that morning — was also one of the first on the scene the night of Garrison’s death. Poulin arrived on scene at about 6:19 p.m. and began checking the property when Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Justin Wheeler arrived on scene. Both men walked down the driveway and turned back east towards the white Ford truck that was in the ditch. At the same time, Captain Mike Munn and Captain Keith Spooner from the Altus Police Department — who were on the east side of the property — began walking west towards Poulin and Wheeler and met them in the middle where they discovered Garrison’s body with a single gunshot wound to his head and a log laying across his chest. Poulin immediately set up the crime scene and began monitoring the area while waiting for others to arrive.

Deputy Mike Turner — called to the stand following Poulin — arrived on the scene to assist with the investigation. Turner began photographing the crime scene from many different angles and searching the area for evidence. Turner found a large knife, a machete and a pair of handcuffs in Garrison’s truck. Turner also took the log on Garrison’s chest, the chainsaw and a notebook of Garrison’s personal papers into possession. Turner searched through Drury and Garrison’s phones. On Drury’s phone, Turner found calls to Drury’s daughter and wife either prior to or shortly after the homicide occurred.

Emma Prophet from the Medical Examiner’s Office arrived and completed her preliminary investigation of the body before Poulin contacted Lowell-Tims Funeral Home and had them assist with the removal of Garrison’s body. At that time Garrison’s truck was retrieved by Blair Wrecker Services and taken to the Sheriff’s office.

Thomas presented at least 15 exhibits to be considered. That list included photos of the crime scene, an autopsy report, a map of the area, a consent to search Drury’s silver Toyota Camry, a Miranda Rights waiver, four photographs of Drury and Garrison’s phones and others. Both the defense and prosecution also have access to the taped interviews with Drury.

No date has yet been set for the trial as Huey has no opening for the month of July.



By Ryan Lewis

Reach Ryan Lewis at 580-482-1221, ext. 2076.

Reach Ryan Lewis at 580-482-1221, ext. 2076.

comments powered by Disqus